Nassau Design Story

Sometimes, design ideas can come from unexpected places; from coffee cups, garbage on the ground,  or a tv show. But this hat design was not unexpected. I knew from the time I started learning about Dutch fishermen's sweaters that it would work its way into a design some day. The inspiration for this design was the desire to participate in my own culture heritage, by joining the ranks of knitters from whom I am descended, that likely used these same themes in their knitting.



You see, I'm Dutch. Some anscestors of mine even had a haberdashery-knit-fabric shop. Is it in my DNA? (Probably on both sides. Thanks, Mum!). 

I've always loved the simple elegence of purl-relief designs. So if you combine that with a historic back story, this was pure knitting comfort. There is a settled, relieved feeling that I can't quite put into words, now that this design is made. Sure, I'm excited to see who knits from this pattern, but the production of the hat itself was its own reward. 
Chunky/Bulky weight version spun from 100% Corriedale, and dyed by Fleece Artist.



The yarn those Dutch wives used was dyed various deep shades of blue, in distinction to other styles of sweaters based in purl relief work which use undyed wool (Think ganseys and cable designs from the British Isles). This blue was often referred to as “Nassau blue.” Monarchs of the Kingdom of the Netherlands are descended from the house of Organje-Nassau. My colour is not quite the traditional “Nassau blue,” but I chose it for its tonal softness, and tight spin. It is a 3 ply worsted, handdyed from at Fleece Artist dyehouse here in Canada. Its tight spinning gives good stitch definition and crisp detail. It is also a breed specific yarn, being 100% Corriedale in fibre. 

Topsy Farms, 2 ply. Hip Hooray for using Canadian wools, eh?

The worsted weight version is knit in Topsy Farms 2-ply. And it's also Canadian! Topsy Farms is located on Amherst Island, near my hometown of Kingston, and I have been out to visit them a few times. It's a 2-ply, not 3-ply like the Fleece Artist yarn, but it also has crisp definition, and wonderful heathered colour. I've bought yarn and fleeces directly from the farm before, but this skein I bought from a new-ish store in Kensington Markets, called Yarns Untangled. They are located on Nassau St. That is what I call perfection.
Coming soon to a Ravelry account near you!


Look how excited I am that the pattern will be out in the next week! I'm sure this is not the last time a design will feature these sweater motifs, but instead will be the first point of contact with my knitting heritage. 

Comments

Popular Posts